Jan 27, 2010

Fine Whine

Theresa Rebeck weighs in on Outrageous Fortune, and I for one love her oddly appropriate mistake, calling TDF the "Theatre Defense Fund" (it's "Development," for the record). Throughout, she's fairly self-deprecating about being a whiner, though she lays out plenty of good reasons. Her conclusion, which concurs with several interlocking lines of thinking on the subject:
The problem isn't that playwrights aren't being paid enough. It's that theatres all over America are looking towards New York to tell them what new plays to do. Meanwhile, New York is in thrall to revivals and movie stars. In the past six years, I have served as a Tony voter, which means I have to see everything that's on Broadway every season, and let me tell you something: If I have to watch one more play where everyone is wearing swell costumes and calling each other "darling" my head is going to explode.
Meanwhile, for all the juicy, meaty blogospheric examination of the book, I appreciated Matt Freeman's take perhaps best of all--for its relative sunniness and, I admit it, its brevity.

6 comments:

Nick said...

"calling TDF the 'Theatre Defense Fund'"

Rob, thanks for the out loud guffaw I just experienced.

And yes, I would think brevity on the subject is appreciated by all at this point.

wicked the musical tickets said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nick said...

Dear Wicked the Musical Tickets,

I can only second everything you say in your comment, so please keep on commenting.

Do you consider yourself akin or different from those entities selling Wicked tickets in advertising sidebar of this blog?

Dear Wicked Stage,

Do you consider yourself akin or different from the entity Wicked the Musical Tickets reading and commenting in your blog?

Yours truly,

Spamalot

Scott Walters said...

Brevity is over-rated. And here are 75 reason why.

1....

Freeman said...

My brevity is out of necessity. I'm writing at my day job.

I am, after all, a playwright.

Rob Weinert-Kendt said...

Scott: I should add that your comparison of the book to reality TV was among my favorite metaphors in this whole multiple-blog exegesis.