Jan 3, 2008

Karmic Debt

When you review theater, it seems, you can accrue a big one. In a spirit of generosity, I'm not going to bother to link to my one-star Time Out review of the still-running Off-Broadway play Pied-a-Terre, but I will offer this entertaining blast from my critical past, which I recently stumbled upon in the thickets of the Interweb. Favorite quote:
While two wasted hours in a theatre typically feel like crawling through broken glass, I found this show oddly, perhaps morbidly cheering; it brought to mind the classic Mystery Science Theatre 3000 episodes that skewered such misbegotten vanity projects as Manos, the Hands of Fate or Soul Taker. Digging for Fire isn't just bad; it's fascinatingly terrible.

I sincerely wonder what became of those involved in the play in question, a romantic comedy about urban planning, and whether if, in some future life, I'll be making this review up to them (or if they'll be repaying me those two hours).

No comments: