Nov 16, 2007

The Unexpectedly Moving File


The LA Weekly's Steven Leigh Morris hangs out with alt-comic Mary Lynn Rajskub, now best known for her role on a popular pro-torture TV show, and gets to a surprisingly existential place, particularly for anyone who's living in the "big city" (Rajskub hails from Trenton, Mich.) and following some kind of creative muse down the wormhole.
“People get married back home,” she reflects. “They settle down. They get jobs. Sometimes I think, ‘Oh, God, I don’t want to be alone with my thoughts and my things.’ But I don’t want to force it. Maybe it’s just who I am, and I have to give in to that. I had a teacher who was surrounded by objects. Maybe that’ll be me. Or, soccer practice with the kids in Woodland Hills.”

She smiles wistfully.

“People here live as children, living their dreams. You can do that for a very long time.”


(Photo by Orly Olivier.)

No comments: