Jan 17, 2006

A New Stage Beat

Well, this didn't take long. Yesterday was his last day at the L.A. Times, and already Don Shirley has a new gig:
Beginning next week, I’ll write a weekly theater column for Los Angeles CityBeat/ValleyBeat, the alternative newspaper and web site now in its third year, with a circulation of 100,000 throughout the L.A. area and in some adjacent counties. CityBeat currently has no regular theater coverage, so I’m excited to open a new weekly arena for discussion of Southern California theater. Besides the column, I’ll also contribute brief capsule reviews to the theater listings.

That strikes me as good news, both for Don and for the L.A. theater community.
Meanwhile, McNulty debuts a little drily, if I may say so (here and here). "Throat-clearing" does seem to be the operative word.

P.S.: I can't believe I scooped Kevin on this.

2 comments:

Newsandseduction said...

interesting blog.

Erik said...

Rob, I would give you MUCH higher praise than "interesting blog." Thanks for the links to Mcnulty's first few reviews--I hadn't realized his tenure at the Times had begun already. I'm excited to see Jeff Whitty's Hedda at SCR--I saw a reading of it last year and quite liked it. And Kate Mulligan plays Medea in it! Can't go wrong there. I'll let you know how it is.